You can see the best of Belhaven and the surrounding area without breaking the bank!
In today’s economy, the expense of travel can make the very thought of a vacation intimidating. If you’re looking for a trip itinerary that won’t break the bank, come to Beaufort County, N.C.! Here are 15 things to do that won’t cost you a lot.
- Walking Tour of History and Trivia. You can pick up your Belhaven Tour of History and Trivia at the Chamber office at 293 Water Street. It is a self-guided tour of historic Belhaven giving you clues along the way to the history of Belhaven.
- Visit the Belhaven Memorial Museum. Located on the second floor of the historic Belhaven Town Hall on Main Street, the museum is built upon the eclectic collection of Mrs. Eva Blount Way. See it for free, but donations are welcomed. Hours may be adjusted due to Covid restrictions.
- Enjoy a Walking Tour of Historic Homes. The guide is available at the Chamber. Enjoy your walk and learn about the history of each house.
- Rent a kayak at Belhaven Marina on Water Street. Spend an afternoon kayaking on Pantego Creek.
- Contact Machapunga Ecotours. Schedule a wildlife tour. You won’t be disappointed.
- jHear local musicians monthly from June-September at Breakwater Music at the Town Dock.
- Visit Bath, North Carolina’s first town, which was incorporated in 1705. It was the first port of entry to North Carolina and is said to be the home of Blackbeard, the pirate, who roamed the waters of the Pamlico River and Sound. While there, you can enjoy touring several historic homes and watching a video at the Visitors Center. St. Thomas Episcopal Church, open to the public daily, has been an active parish since 1734 and is the oldest church building in the state.
- Take a hike in Goose Creek State Park. Eight miles of hiking trails meander through estuarine areas with diverse flora and fauna. See who can spot a deer first! A designated swimming area with a sandy beach offers access to the shallow waters of the Pamlico River.
- Dig for Fossils at the Aurora Fossil Museum—featuring an outdoor dig site, the museum showcases 5- to 15-million-year-old marine fossils from the nearby PCS Aurora Phosphate mine and native American artifacts from across prehistoric North Carolina. And guess what? Admission is also free!
- Visit the North Carolina Estuarium. With over 200 exhibits, aquariums and works of art, the Estuarium is dedicated to the unique ecosystem of eastern North Carolina’s estuaries and their effect on local culture. Fun, interactive and kid-friendly, check it out for only $4 for adults and $2 for students.
- Cross the Pamlico River on the Bayview ferry between Bath and Belhaven—This free ferry ride offered to commuters and tourists alike is a fun and free way to see the beautiful river and feel the breeze! See the sun reflect off the river at sunset for an unforgettable crossing.
- If you are a wildlife enthusiast, you will want to visit the two National Wildlife Refuges located nearby, Mattamukeet National Wildlife Refuge and Pocossin Lakes National Wildlife Refuge.
So there you have it! Who says vacations have to break the bank? These activities encompass the essence of Beaufort County and most are free!